Desmond Wong is a senior Search Director of Cornerstone Singapore. He has more than 30 years of Asia Pacific Human Resources (HR) senior management experience, with specialisations in setting up HR departments in new companies and assisting employees in their career development.
His career as Regional Head of HR covered such industries as property development/retail/hospitality, professional services, healthcare/leisure, automotive (Toyota and Lexus brands), electronics, petrochemical and online publishing..
Desmond has sourced and hired both senior management and professional talents for these wide ranging sectors. Prior to joining Cornerstone, he was with Stanton Chase, consulting for companies in the area of recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, and performance management systems.
Specifically, he has been transforming companies to improve their capabilities in the following areas:
- Design & formulate relevant HR strategies and policies according to best practices
- Design & structure competitive compensation & benefits programs for offices in the Asia Pacific (covering Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan & Korea)
- Design talent acquisition, development & retention strategies to recruit & retain the right talent
- Design performance management systems based on the respective company’s philosophy & culture
- Manage organizational development for change through developing & conducting management training in the Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia & Indonesia, and in the Chinese Language in Hong Kong, China & Taiwan.
- Conduct learning needs analysis and develop staff to build organisational capabilities
- Develop & maintain good employee & industrial relations
- Evaluate, select & implement HR information systems, including SAP HR
- Provide HR advice to senior management as a valuable HR business partner
- Roll out management succession programmes
- Create a caring culture for staff through “Excellent Worklife & Workplace Health” programmes
- Design and conduct management training programmes like performance appraisals, change management, motivation workshops & On-the-job training trainer-manager
- Merge two companies’ HR polices to harmonize their terms & conditions of employment