Julian is a Professional Certified Coach providing Executive Coaching, Leadership Coaching, Career Coaching, and Relationship Coaching to senior leaders in both the public and private sectors.
As an experienced coach, Julian helps his clients focus on what’s important to them, providing the right balance of challenge and support so they achieve their development goals. His clients appreciate his ability to understand the context within which they operate, provide feedback with sensitivity and directness, clarify their thinking, and turn thinking into action. The end result is long-term positive impact from each coaching engagement.
Julian has been an independent consultant since 1999, first partnering with senior leaders on communications and business strategy before transitioning into leadership and executive coaching. He has taught at universities in Canada and the US, both in professional areas (communications, creativity, collaboration) and in academic areas (philosophy, psychology). He is the founder and editor-in-chief of one of the leading coaching journals, Philosophy of Coaching, and has presented at international coaching conferences in the US and Europe.
RECENT COACHING & TRAINING SUCCESSES
- Coached a senior medical professional through a difficult merger which ultimately led to her becoming the Deputy Medical Director of the amalgamated entity
- Coached the CEO of a large US healthcare organization posted to the Middle East as he adapted to a foreign culture and reconciled the demands of competing stakeholders, including his family
- Coached the President of a Canadian university on 360 feedback as he attempted to align stakeholder groups hostile to each other and his leadership style
- Coached a senior leader in the Ontario Public Service as he prepared for multiple interviews, leading to an Interim Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM) appointment
- Coached a new Director in the Ontario Public Service as he was onboarded into the role, including 360 feedback debriefs and sponsor interviews
- Coached the President of a mid-size Canadian law firm on retirement and succession planning, resulting in him taking a hands-off HR role while his children took over day-to-day operations
- Coached the son of the owner of a multi-generational family business on next-generation preparedness
- Coached a senior manager in digital communications on strategic relationship building and emotional intelligence
- Coached an interim director in the Ontario Public Service on emotional intelligence and leadership effectiveness, leading to a permanent director position shortly after the coaching was complete
- Coached the CEO of a small, rapidly expanding financial company, clarifying strategic direction and proactively addressing HR issues
- Co-led a full-day leadership development workshop for 60+ managers, described as “extremely well facilitated – one of the best I have ever attended”
- Co-led a series of small group coaching sessions of 16 managers over the course of a year, developing key leadership skills and an ongoing supportive community
CERTIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- International Coach Federation − ACC, PCC Accreditation
- Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC), Coaches Training Institute (CTI)
- Additional training in: Organizational and Relationship Systems Coaching (ORSC), Emergent Essence Dynamics (EED), Acceptance and Commitment
- Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Existential Psychotherapy
- PhD Education, University of Toronto