I bring an industry diverse background of consulting and executive coaching with emerging and seasoned leaders.
This includes 17 years of executive coaching, work as a senior executive leader in three for-profit and non-profit organization and three decades of adjunct teaching at the masters and doctoral level in organizational leadership
Most of my clients have been senior level executives representing public and private industry sectors. My focus involves three areas related to leadership development:
- Leadership Behaviors which address qualities of positive character,
- Leadership Competency which concentrates on specific skills tied to strategic business outcomes and values of organizational culture
- Leadership Capacity reflecting the readiness to lead at higher levels of organizational complexity.
My coaching is done at the individual and team levels of organizational leadership. With teams I start with a diagnostic assessment of current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. I facilitate an assessment process including interviews of all stakeholders leading to action planning and execution. I also design and deliver leadership development training customized to meet prioritized needs.
Executive coaching with individual leaders starts with a leadership suite of assessments from Hogan Assessments which provide insight into how the leader is perceived in the workplace. In addition, I do personal interviews with direct reports, peers, and senior leaders to discover what a leader should continue to do, start doing, or stop doing to be more effective and efficient. From that assessment and interview information a Leadership Development Plan is designed with the client and presented to the leader’s leader for discussion and final alignment.
Executive coaching is measured by self-reflection as well as 360-degree feedback from the same group interviewed at the beginning of the coaching engagement. An online tool is customized to the focus areas addressed in the Leadership Development Plan providing insight into further professional development priorities.
I recently completed a nine-month coaching opportunity with the probable successor as the Chief Legal Officer in a multi-campus healthcare system. We addressed leadership behaviors and competencies at the current level of employment as a senior member of the legal team. Then we addressed the competencies needed to be ready for leadership at a higher level of organizational complexity in the CLO role. The clarity of development goals, the strategies to meet those goals, and the full engagement of the client led to significant progress in readiness for succession planning opportunities.
Since 2008, I have led my Leadership Development practice with subject matter expertise as a leadership development strategist tied to organization outcomes and culture.
- Presented a model at the International Conference for the Association of Talent Development: Developing Leaders at Multiple Levels in any Organization.
- Invited to be a Facilitator for multiple member meetings held around the country for the Chief Executive Network.
- My recently published book was recognized with two gold medallion awards in the business category, Leadership Briefs: Shaping Organizational Culture to Stretch Leadership Capacity.
- Masters in educational administration
- Masters in student development in higher education
- Doctorate in adult development
- Executive Coach certification with three coaching organizations
- Member of the Center for Creative Leadership, Association for Talent Development, and International Coach Federation
- Adjunct professor in the EdD program in organizational leadership at Stockton University, New Jersey
- Certifications in DiSC, StrengthsFinder, Hogan Assessment, Creating Leadership Development Programs, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team